Saturday, January 3, 2009

JUST DISCOVERED-Chick Flick? Football Film?

This one is hard to describe. How did I miss this it? Yesterday, I was casually browsing the spine-out titles on the pre-viewed DVD display at Osco's. For some reason, the title "Bella" caught my eye and when I pulled it out for a closer look, I knew it was going to be mine.

Bella (PG13) I won't tell you who Bella is. A soccer player is on the road to success having been offered a $2 million plus contract, when he runs into a roadblock which abruptly ends his career. Some years later, working as a chef at his brother's restaurant, a co-worker waitress has a problem too and he seems to be her only friend. Resolving problems is the theme of the film and I loved it. Its one of those low budget films that proves you don't have to spend multi-multi millions to make a good one. It won the People's Choice Award at the Toronto Film Festival in 2007 and the Best Picture and Best Actor at the 2008 Movie Guide Awards. Just in case, you might want to have some tissues handy. Don't watch it for the football. Its only a minor part of the plot.

No comments: